The United Methodist Church exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. The District Office exists to support and resource clergy and churches so that they are stronger, more vibrant communities of faith that are making disciples of Jesus Christ and, in turn,
A description of our District at its best; the unique personality of our District.
- Our life together as a district starts with a deep conviction that the most meaningful life there is found connected to God whose love is revealed in Jesus.
- Our life together demands that we know, share and live the life-giving ways of faith that are contained in scripture. We must be the people of God before we can do the work of the people of God.
- Our life together thrives on a commitment to excellence in our worship. We realize that if the stories of faith are not communicated with relevance and clarity through song, sermon, sacrament and sight (visual arts), we will diminish our ability to help people encounter the Living God.
- Our life together calls for risk-taking mission that connects the church to our communities. The doors of our churches open to invite others in and also swing open to send people out because we are compelled to extend the love, hope and welcome of Christ to others.
- Our life together requires intentionality and integrity, resilience and courage. We strive for leadership that rejects complacency and senses the urgency of the mission in an age of significant change. We value the humility that allows us to see the world as it is and the audacity to imagine that world as God longs for it to be.
- Empowered by the Holy Spirit, the United Methodist Church of the Anderson District is committed to connecting people to God and to one another so that our churches are places of help, hope, and home.
What we are called to do now, in this particular place, given our mission and values.
- We will tool, retool and resource clergy to think about, develop and plan meaningful and authentic worship experiences so that we create opportunities for followers and seekers to encounter the Living God.
- We will create and cultivate places of Christian community both within and beyond the church where people can share life together with all its joys, tragedies, loves and longing.
- We will coach churches to move beyond the walls of the church to engage with the community around them so that we participate in God’s mission of helping earth look more like heaven.